|Food Waste in Canada|
|Food Rescued from the garbage|
Ok I'll admit that the portion of waste associated with conference and events is less than consumers waste at home (47% of food was is from the consumer). But it's still a big enough number that we should do something about it.
So what can you do?
- Order less, order 20% less than you think you will need to ensure no food is left over
- Consider lighter fair, smaller amounts of food that can be more easily eaten
- Ask for half, the kitchen can hold back a portion of the food, food that is prepared but not served can still be donated or reused in the kitchen.
- Bring containers, or ask for take out containers so guests can take leftovers home. Otherwise, they will be thrown out.
- Don't order! Have drinks instead or try potluck style for less formal events.
Or maybe you could be like me and run around trying to salvage leftovers before caterers return to dispose of them ;) Yum!
"Waste not, Want not" -Proverb