|Friends Not Food|
- Save the planet!
- Vegans and vegetarians cut out emissions associated with meat production, and those are big numbers! Meat consumptions comes out to about 14.5% of total co2 emissions (that's as much as all the cars on the road!) So eat less meat, make less gas, help reduce climate change, save the planet!
- That promotes meat consumption in excess and heavily processed foods. Whole foods and organics are a priority for me so a vegetarian diet makes sense.
- Less cholesterol, less chemicals, lower in fat, less sodium, less processed....the list continues of the health benefits of plant based diets. Switching to vegetarianism can decrease your chances of heart disease, type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure in half.
|Pet or Meat?|
- Why we love dogs, eat pigs and wear cows is a really interesting Ted talk you should check out if you are thinking about making the switch away from eating animals (or if you are just cool and like Ted talks). I first became a vegetarian because of my love of animals and that aspect will always be in mind when considering food.
- The only way to be really responsible for your food is by growing/raising your own. Then you can understand how it came to be and respect it. Therefore by not having the stomach to raise my own meat to slaughter I will remain vegetarian.
- Growing vegetables takes less energy, water and space than livestock. It takes 2,400 gallons of water to produce 1 lb. of meat or 25 gallons to produce 1 lb. of wheat. On the same parcel of land you can grow 100's of times more vegetables then meat, so over all vegetable production is a better use of our precious resources.
- We can consider the amount of deforestation, water and waste involved with growing crops to feed livestock, crops that could go to feed the worlds poor and hungry. We currently grow enough food to feed all of earths inhabitants if we were just more efficient in its use.
- Being conscious of my food choices and and knowing where and how my food was produced gives me piece of mind so being a local vegetarian lets me rest easy.
Have a lovely day,
"Violence begins with the fork." -Mahatma Gandhi