Thursday 4 June 2015

5 Things I Will Only Buy Used (and 5 I Will Not)


There are now things I have discovered are so much smarter to buy used that I will never (ever) buy them new again. Here is my top 5 list:
  1. Clothes
    • Jeans are a hard thing to find used but with enough perseverance you can find anything at a thrift store and as most fashions are revivals of previous looks you can even be more authentic! + Halloween Costumes! 
  2. Sheets
    • So much cheaper to find sheets used. I recently upgraded to a California King bed that I inherited in a move and I was a little worried about finding sheets for this gargantuan. Lucky me I got the last set at St. Vincent de Paul's! 
  3. Books
    • Why would I ever want to buy a book again? I visit the library and second hand book stores for my literary needs. Where I thought it would be difficult was in University but I've usually wound up sharing a textbook with a few other people to avoid buying my own. 
  4. Dishes
    • Vintage and antique dishware can be found for pennies compared to newer items. You can often get a full set of dish't in perfect condition for less then the cost of a plate at the retail store. And super cute too! 
  5. Designers
    • Consignment! When I lived in Toronto my friends and I would save up for our yearly trip to the outlet malls in Niagara Falls. Not any more now that I have discovered the miracle that is consignment stores.  Not only do I find beautiful pieces, they are also wayyy less expensive then even the outlet prices will ever be. Take that big industry!
We all have our lines that we just wont cross, here is a list of mine when shopping at the thrift store and how I have become creative in finding alternatives
  1. Pillows
    • I still have not been able to get over the idea of buying used pillows that someone else has drueled into at night before you. Still what is a locavore to do? I have managed to inherit the pillows I currently have but it leaves me searching for a more sustainable solution to newer ones.
  2. Shoes
    • Ok, I will buy shoes like  high heals or flats used but maybe not walking shoes or Birkenstock's that have been worn in enough to remember their previous owner's steps... 
  3. Underwear
    • I will not buy underwear second hand and as a consequence am running very low on my supply. Instead I had these beauties hand made by my dear friend at Wolfe & Hardy Co. It may cost a bit more, but totally worth it in the long run. 
  4. Makeup
    • Used makeup just dosn't seem sanitary...On a recent trip I found this local homemade makeup company and I love the stuff I picked up! Check it out if you are in Seattle- Atomic Cosmetics
  5. Hair Brush
    • Dido with hair accessories 

Happy hunting, 

Melanie XX

"Everything I buy is vintage and smells funny. Maybe that's why I don't have a boyfriend." -Lucy Liu (and probably me too) 

3 comments:

  1. Veterans One Stop offer free classes daily in our state-of-the-art theater. Our trainers will reveal the simple secrets to making magic happen on your devices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing these 5 things we need to know about buying an used shoes. I have learned a lot and I hope you can share more.

    Get more information by visiting this site: http://www.boex-news.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a bonafide thrift store junkie and honestly my wardrobe is almost entirely made up of thrift store clothes. I love the idea of re-using and recycling, but I agree with you that there are some things you just should not buy used. It is not sanitary to re-use old makeup. I also will not buy used baby bottles.

    Randy Weaver @ True Fashionistas Resale

    ReplyDelete