Monday 10 November 2014

What I ate for dinner this week

Just to prove I don't live off of Kale and carrots, this week I kept track of my dinners to show you all how delicious local really is. After all, eating local is not about eating less good food but about eating more good food.

Monday- Spaghetti Squash with tomato and peppers, here is the recipe
Monday 
  • BC spaghetti squash that I got in my Good Food Box last week. 
  • Peppers I got from Marlin Spikes Organics at the PG Farmers Market a few weeks ago 
  • Tomatoes Sauce, a can that I reclaimed from the trash having been past the best before date (it tasted fine to me) 
  • I skipped on the cheese and used whatever spices I had in my cupboard 
Tuesday
Tuesday- A had a late night at school so I made a quick egg sandwich at 10pm when I got home. 
  • Egg- Purchased from PG PIRG who orders in free run farm fresh eggs weekly. 
  • Bread- from Brenda's Bread at the University Farmers Market
  • Goat Cheese- free from a friend who was away for a few weeks and had to get rid of food in his fridge 
  • Sweet Relish- from Tuppy's that was at the Studio Fair at UNBC (that I am obsessed with, I wish I bought more!)

Wednesday
Wednesday- Soup & Salad at the Thirsty Moose Pub
  • Tomato Basil soup made in house
  • Spring Salad- Lettuce sourced from the SGU Dome Greenhouse on campus (can hardly get more local then that!)
  • Garlic Toast
  • A hand full of those sweet potato fries from the top of the photo
  • PWB Canterbury Lager
Thursday- Eggs scramble and toast

  • Eggs with more peppers and green onions from the Good Food Box
  • Toast with bread from the University Farmers Market
  • Friday
  • Red Pepper Jelly from Bertha Miller at the University Farmers Market

Friday- Leftover spaghetti squash from Monday and Leftover mashed potatoes with Mushroom gravy from Sunday 
  • Potatoes come from Cariboo Growers in Prince George
  • I made mushroom gravy from an expired can of mushrooms I saved from the trash
  • Lot's and lot's of Cariboo beers at the SGU Electro-Swing Pub night at the Thirsty Moose 
Saturday
Saturday- Veggie Burger and Salad at Nancy O's 
  • They make the best almond based veggie patty in house, any of the toppings are delicious but I had the truffle burger with brie cheese, died! 
  • Side salad uses greens from the local aquaponics 
Sunday- Rutabaga Fries (recipe here) & Veg-Potato Hash
Sunday


  • Rutabaga from a friends garden
  • Potatoes from Cariboo Growers with onions, peppers, garlic and dried basil from my own garden. 
  • I also pre-cooked potatoes and lots of extra Rutabaga fries for the week so the cycle of leftovers can continue. 

As you will notice from this weeks menu things often repeat like the bread I used, it was the same loaf all week. As I only shop once a week at the University Farmers Market, I need to plan a little a head to ensure I will have enough to last the week. I don't always follow recipe's exactly and heavily substitute with local goodies, reclaimed and expired foods and things that were given to me. As you have seen eating local not only feels good but is good for your wallet and tastes delicious! So get out there and see what you can incorporate into your dinner this week. 

In good food,

Melanie

"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are." - Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin




4 comments:

  1. That looks perfect meal for someone who is diet conscious, food full of proteins and looks yummy. Thanks for sharing it

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks perfect meal for someone who is diet conscious, food full of proteins and looks yummy. Thanks for sharing it

    ReplyDelete