Monday 12 January 2015

Ode to Cabbage

Cabbage from Cariboo Growers
Infallible Cabbage,
All wrapped up in a round package,
You can last for months in my fridge,
And survive falling from a bridge,
Green, Savoy and red,
Cabbage you are keeping me well fed,
A source of vitamin C and dietary fibre,
To which I am a subscriber.

Chopped up in Coleslaw,
A tasty treat to gnaw,
Diced and fried,
enjoyed far and wide,
Homemade Sauerkraut,
If I run out I might pout,
Blanched, baked and boiled,
Eating you in time so you wont be spoiled.

There is a nasty side to you,
You can taste good and not so good too,
University Farmers Market
Sometimes you make me gassy,
Which makes it hard to stay so classy,
You often have a funny smell,
That even scented candles wont quell,
You will be with me all winter,
Like a bad cold or a terrible splinter.

It is a love hate relationship,
In this winter vegetable dictatorship,
but for eating local,
at this time of year you are focal,
Maybe I should have been Polish,
Because I think you are delich',
and this winter from you I will survive,
Perhaps with cabbage, this locavore can thrive.

P.s. Here is a great recipe for Cabbage Rolls

Cheers, Melanie


"Cauliflower is nothing but Cabbage with a college education" - Mark Twain


2 comments:

  1. One of the best and most relevant poems I have ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cabbage is helpful for those people who have bulky body because cabbage have tendency to reduce the fat from the body and cabbage soup is ever best thanks.

    ReplyDelete