Tuesday 14 October 2014

Fowl Play

My personalized care package from Home Sweet Home
It occurred to me that Thanksgiving in Canada signifies the impending finish line we are approaching to the end of the harvest season. This harvest time has meant the most to be because of the significance of seasonal food in my diet and has built a heightened awareness to what is available in my region. Though I am celebrating locally, it was still nice to connect with friends and family across the country to remind me how wonderful life really is and to be truly thankful.

To celebrate thanksgiving my mother, who faithfully reads my blog, decided to follow one of the links I left to my local grocers and ordered me a feast! I was so surprised when I got there to find a giant bag full of the best of the best things that I could not even have dreamed of. I now have 4 flavours of miso gravy....4! Thanks again Mom!

My landlord decided to park a trailer on the site of my garden a few weeks ago, ruining the rest of my own vegetables for the year.  In response I'm looking for a new place to live. Hearing this a professor at school took it upon himself to restock my cupboards from his personal garden with so many fresh veggies! I got this giant cabbage you can see in the photo (soon to be sauerkraut), rutabaga, potatoes, carrots, onions and cucumbers and the site of them almost brought me to tears of joy. It never ceases to amaze me how wonderful people are and that so much good came out of a bad situation.

Cabbage and Rutabaga from a friends garden
For my thanksgiving I spent the evening with friends at a shotgun dinner where everyone brought a homemade dish. I brought mashed potatoes and an apple stuffed buttercup squash, all local and from right here in PG. Though my dish's were local, some of the other ingredients on my plate were somewhat questionable and I am pretty sure I ate cheese from the other side of the country. I realize that not everyone thinks about food to the same degree as I do but hopefully these pages can inspire at least some thought towards it. I am so thankful for friends and family and the amazing community I am apart of that has made living local mean so much more to me. I hope I can give back as much love and appreciation as I have felt in these last weeks and make every moment count.

In good food,

Melanie


"The thankful receiver bears a plentiful harvest." -William Blake









No comments:

Post a Comment