Monday 20 October 2014

Putting your money where your mouth is

Next on my list of changes was mentioned in a comment about banking. I have been with TD Canada since they were Canada Trust (20+ years) and had not even considered how my banking could effect my Locavore identity. But it really does matter where you put your money and the more I looked into the banking industry the more I realized how important it was to align your money with your values. Centralized banking institutions fund major industries that are environmentally harmful such as coal, nuclear, and logging which means your money could be going towards supporting them too. (There is a reason why bond villains and the bad guys on Despicable me are bankers.)  Keeping your money local via a Credit Union,  supports your local community and keeps your money where you are. I chose to switch to Integris which supports things like the SGU Dome Green House and students success in the north. The switch was easy once I knew how important it was and when I went in to the bank they were so friendly and welcoming, unlike any bank I have ever dealt with. Integris didn't even mind my mounting pile of student debt and embarrassingly large credit card balance. 

I still have a cell phone through Koodo, which is a subsidiary of Telus who is head quartered in Alberta....can I do better? Or should I even have a phone? 

Can you think of anything else I can switch to a more local option?


Have a lovely week,

Melanie

"Your diet is a bank account. Good food choices are good investments." Bethenny Frankel


No comments:

Post a Comment